Monday, August 2, 2010

Greatest freedoms...

Today, August 3, 2010 is Primary Election Day for the state of Michigan. Adding to that, we have a few millage/ballot proposals in our greater Flint area. Whether or not people agree with it, or realize it, today is a very important day. As citizens, we have a chance to ACTUALLY HAVE A SAY IN OUR SOCIETY!!! Maybe I am looking at this through "rose colored glasses" but HOW IN THE HELL CAN PEOPLE NOT SEE THE IMPORTANCE OF ANY ELECTION DAY???

The biggest election for the state of Michigan is the Governor primaries. The Republicans are putting forth four main candidate choices:

- Mike Bouchard (Oakland County Sheriff)
- Mike Cox (Michigan Attorney General)
- Peter Hoekstra (member of the United States House of Representatives)
- Rick Snyder (Businessman, founder of GATEWAY Computers)

The Democrats are putting forth two main candidates:

- Andy Dillon (Michigan Speaker of the House)
- Virg Bernero (Mayor of Lansing)

Guess what the funny thing is - all of them have been saying the exact same things. Maybe "funny" is the wrong word; maybe I should be talking about how sad it is. You see, for my point of view, I think EVERYONE wants lower taxes. (Am I crazy in that?) I think everyone of these gentlemen wants to bring jobs to Michigan. We can all agree that cities like Detroit, Flint, Saginaw and others are in desperate trouble and need help. The education system of this state needs to be overhauled...

The problem is not one of these men has given a specific plan on how they will help the state! They speak in generalities, they talk about how they don't want "kids to be our biggest export" or tout their "achievements" such as a supposed 95% voting rate (sorry Hoekstra, anyone who follows politics knows that is a bold faced lie). Tell me in terms the "Main Street USA" person can understand - how are you going to expand industry for us? How are you going to make college more affordable for all students, and how are you going to make it a reality for the inner-city or impoverished student? You tell me you want to cut taxes? Great, but what do I lose in the process? Taxes are the cost to run a state and a city, and they pay for services. When you cut the revenue, something has to go. Be open and tell us up front what it will be.

I don't have all the answers. In fact, I probably have more questions than I can count. I guess all I can say though is this...

Please take the time to go vote today. It is our one chance to put our public officials on notice. Use the greatest power this country gives you - the right to choose.

1 comment:

  1. That made me feel better for not having a clue as to who should get my vote. I feel like none of them are really saying anything.

    ReplyDelete